List of Publications
The Invisibility Bargain: Governance Networks and Migrant Human Security, Oxford University Press (2021).
- Winner of the Arthur P. Whitaker Prize for Best Book in the past two years, presented by the Middle Atlantic Council of Latin American Studies (MACLAS), 2021
- Honorable Mention, American Political Science Association (APSA) Best Book Award presented by the Migration and Citizenship section, 2022
- Honorable Mention, Alfred B. Thomas Award for Best Book, presented by the Southeast Council of Latin American Studies (SECOLAS), 2022
- Reviews: Choice, International Migration Review, Ethnic & Racial Studies, Australian Institute of International Affairs Australian Outlook
- Featured in: Louisville Courier-Journal, New Books Network: Human Rights podcast, Beyond Your Newsfeed podcast, All Aces podcast
Peer reviewed articles
- "Contradictions and Shifts in Discourse and Application of the Refugee System in a Mixed-Migration Context: The Ecuadorian Case", with Jennifer Moya and Consuelo Sánchez Bautista. In: Herrera, G., Gómez, C. (eds) Migration in South America. IMISCOE Research Series. Springer (2022). 121-143.
- "The Role of International Institutions in National and Local Peace Processes: The Case of the UN and ICC in Colombia," with Adriana Rincón and Consuelo Sánchez. In Aigul Kulnazarova and Christian Ydesen, eds. Handbook of Global Approaches to Peace and International Institutions. Palgrave Macmillan (2019). 561-584
- "Community Peacebuilding Initiatives, Faith-Based." In The International Encyclopedia of Peace, edited by Nigel Young. New York: Oxford University Press, (2010): 380-383
- “Dignity and Migration at the U.S. Border,” The Peace Chronicle (Winter 2020).
- “Welcome Wears Thin for Colombians in Ecuador as Venezuelans Become More Visible,” Migration Information Source, with Luis Jimenez and Bettina Latuff (January 9, 2020).
- “La Bienvenida Se Agota para Colombianos en Ecuador Mientras Venezolanos Se Hacen Más Visibles,” Migration Information Source, with Luis Jimenez and Bettina Latuff (January 9, 2020).
- “La restricción permanente al porte de armas en Colombia: un análisis normativo y desde la evidencia de una política pública efectiva para reducir la violencia por armas de fuego en el país.” with María José Castro, Nicolás Forero Villarreal, María Cecilia Dedios, Lindsey Breier, Andrea Noy Robayo, Sophia Alison Zweig, María José Valencia, Andrés I. Vecino-Ortiz. Notas de Política (November 2019). No. 36. Universidad de los Andes.
- "Foreign Allies Should Take Their Cues from Venezuelan Activists’ Push for Democracy," The GlobePost (February 7, 2019).
- “Contention and Nonviolent Action in Latin America: Introduction to the Special Issue,” (with Patricia Rodriguez). Middle Atlantic Review of Latin American Studies 2, no. 1 (2018): 1-3
- [Spanish version of the article above:] “Contención y acción no violenta en América Latina: introducción al número especial,” (with Patricia Rodríguez). Middle Atlantic Review of Latin American Studies 2, no. 1 (2018): 4-7.
- "The 'Invisibility Bargain' Constrains Migrants' Identities and Rights," AULA Blog (October 25, 2017)
- "What Displaced Colombians Living Abroad Think about the Peace Efforts," The Conversation (October 5, 2016)
- "Bridges, Not Walls, Foster Peace and Security as Refugees Arrive," CounterPunch (June 16, 2016)
- "A Platform for Action: Creating Peacebuilding Networks for Border Regions," Peacebuilding Post, Alliance for Peacebuilding. (Spring 2016)
- "Trial by Fire for Ecuador's President Correa," TruthOut (August 26, 2015)
- “Redes de Migrantes y Refugiados en Ecuador: Un Estudio de Quito, Lago Agrio, Esmeraldas, e Ibarra,” CEMPROC Working Paper Series in Peace, Conflict, and Development, June 2015.
- "Governance Networks in Ecuador's Border Region," Forced Migration Review 43, May 2013 (with Lana Balyk), 47-49.
- “Democratic Peace Theory: A Review and Evaluation.” CEMPROC Working Paper Series in Peace, Conflict, and Development (April, 2005)